
In an earlier post I might have said something about my pending unemployment. Let me explain.
The shop is closing. Our last day for business is April 6th. We had planned to be around through May, but things changed -- as they are prone to do -- and now we find ourselves in the midst of a massive "moving" sale.


The shop has been a great thing for me. A vision in pinks and oranges. It got me back into the world of regular, on-going work after my extended hiatus and it introduced me to a fantastic group of knitters. I am going to miss this job. As much as I will miss having a steady income, I am really going to miss the feeling of coming into this little oasis of aesthetic warmth and charm. It is a place to relax, where you can choose to slow things down. I found a couple of photos I took a few months back; one caught a glimpse of my camera-shy co-worker (and friend), Olia. She is a master knitter who has taught me tons of tips and can hold a darn good conversation about the French theorists; she is a true academic at heart. While there will always be yarn and needles, it is hard to find a place that connects people the way the Knit Cafe has shown me is possible.
I'm not sure what is next. Maybe a fellowship will come my way (no, I have not heard yet) or another job that feels like a good match. Olia and I have been joking about training for a marathon as a way to combat our unemployment depression. I'll let you know if this develops beyond an idea. To the many friends who ask us what we'll do now, we've taken to saying, "avocado mask. maybe followed by pedicures."
2 comments:
Oh Sarah- that's sad! It looks like such a lovely place too. I wish we could have come to visit.
I am sure that something else wonderful and interesting will come along. Perhaps you and Olia could open your own shop? You could sell yarn and philosophy books.
ooohhh, i had no idea there was a possibility of closing. sniff! i'm glad it was wonderful while it lasted. and i do want to hear immediately when you do about that fellowship....
Post a Comment