In an inspired moment I started cleaning out a closet at my parents'. It was going fine, sitting and looking through shoeboxes is my speed, and I was getting rid of lots of stuff. This is good. Then it went terribly wrong. I was moving clear plastic storage bags full of blankets and sweaters when I started seeing little corpses with wings. oh.my.god. Reading about yarn and moth infestations lately has made me particularly sensitive to the thought of bugs making a buffet out of fiber goods. Here was my worst nightmare (ok, not worst; it has been a tough year) -- and to make it worse it was the bulk of the heavy stuff lugged back from Nepal. Yup, you guessed it. Yak wool.

This storage/*protective* bag-thing was packed with cedar and still produced hundreds of these little buggers...maybe not moths? Does anyone know about yak rug care?? I think this is another sign to get a bigger place (a house even) and start using the things in storage before its too late. hmmm... Too bad you don't get a house is exchange for paying off medical bills.
First things first, I know.
In the meantime, ugh. yick. eewww.
The goods are now hanging all around the second story of the house. Sun helps, right? I once heard to put infested things in the microwave, but I'm not sure that is a physical possibility. Good thing that from a distance you can't seem the holes.
3 comments:
Freeze them.
if you have to air out your linen at least it is nice to look at..is that an Ionic column? What about using one of those airtight storage bags purchased exclusively from late night infomercials?
oooh, how crappy. i hope the holes are small. yes, i suppose you could freeze them (did you know you can do that with smelly shoes, too, and it will kill the bacteria and thus the smell?) it may be more fabric-friendly than boiling...
Post a Comment