Monday, August 04, 2008

things of beauty





Ah, now we're talkin'.
I think I have mentioned previously that this year I am experimenting with growing tomatoes in pots. After what felt like a slow start, there is finally evidence that the fruits of my labor are on their way. For several weeks I only had one little tomato -- which was putting a lot of pressure on that one wee veg. As of this morning there are half a dozen on the bigger of the two plants, and at least one on the late-blooming Early Girl. With me off to NC, it is falling to Orion to remember to water the babies. (If you talk to him, remind him, ok?)

Speaking of O, have I mentioned that I am crazy about him? Every once in a while he is still able to surprise me. For example, the other day he handed me a bag saying that he had purchased something as a birthday present (six months ago), but there a long chain of events that delayed the arrival. The gift is a pair of Tom's shoes that have been *designed* (i.e., decorated) by Sia. I do enjoy her music, and it is always fun when O brings home music/musician-related treats.

There are two things that should have been red flags: Sia's website & Orion's face. Here let me show you --



As I told O, with utter sincerity, it is the thought that counts. I am not sure what occasion will call for these beauties, but I am very happy to be the proud owner of a one-of-a-kind object d'arte. Now all we need is a bigger apartment...






I haven't posted about knitting in a while, but not for lack of projects. Knit Cafe is now getting together Wednesday nights at the Farmers Market. No word on a new spot for the shop yet, but Suzan is revamping the website and I hear the book is coming out in paperback soon. Most things are in-progress (or I have sent them off without taking a picture!), but there is one thing that I can show you. I started this with Eleanor in mind this spring. I had originally thought it would be a 1st birthday gift, but then there was this cute little swimsuit....



The dress made it into the mail last week, so maybe it will get to Iowa before Carrie reads this post. It came out a bit bigger than I expected, but I am losing track of whose baby is how big, and have given up on any kind of "standard" for baby age and size. Kids grow, right? Happy summer, eleanor!

There is one thing that I am excited about, but I really should introduce it to Sofia before I post a pic. I will give you a hint: think Ariel.

1 comment:

earthmama said...

um, you made sofia a mermaid tail? and those shoes....wow. wow. never heard of tom's shoes or sia, so i appreciated the links which allowed me the education. love to read the updates, can't wait to hear more!