I might have had something to do with the LA Film Festival. Through the festival I would think of things to post about, and once in a while I would have time to jot down a note, or remember to bring a camera AND take a picture.
The festival ended last Sunday and this past week has been about wrapping up, packing up, and recuperating. The last festival I worked was in 2005. That seems like a long time ago, and yet being back in festival-land, I realized that little had changed. What hasn't changed is that everything besides work goes on hold for a few weeks. I started posts, that never made it to public viewing, and was thinking I would consolidate them into one big post. With the Wimbledon final lasting as long as it has, I may just get this finished and up. If you do not watch tennis, the Federer-Nadal (re)match is in it's fourth hour of play, 6+ counting rain delays. It may be the best match I have ever seen.
Speaking of great competitive moments, during the festival there are always a couple of *events* that deserve more coverage than they get. One of these was the grocery bagging competition that highlighted the documentary PAPER OR PLASTIC?, which follows the National Grocery Association's Best Bagger Competition held in Vegas annually. The film is well worth checking out, and the festival challenge pitted individuals from the movie against LAFF staff, including the lovely Maggie (a friend since I started working festivals); festival director, Rich; and my counterpart, Chris (who was in fact a bagger in his youth). There were two qualifying rounds: one between the film's participants, and one between the staff competitors.
Bagging is judged on the national criteria of: time, structure, and style. Rounds were judged by the director, Alex da Silva, and a national champ from Utah.
Each of the staff competitors performed well and in the end it came down to style and Chris' impressive ability to structure a bag beyond reproach. I was very proud to have the winner hale from my department. As you can see, he was thrilled!
In the end, the title went to the pro bagger from the film -- he is the one in the tiara. Chris was happy to leave with the title of staff champ and a reusable bag promoting the film. There had been a rumor that the competitors would also take home the groceries, but in the end no one seems to follow through on this offer. Did I mention that if you get a chance to see this film, you should do it?This was a good festival for me. Not only did I get to see a handful of films, but I even made it to a couple of parties. So often in the past I opted for sleep over all else, but Chris and I were a good team and were well prepared going into the festival itself. Here I am with David Choe and fest friends at the DIRTY HANDS: THE ART & CRIMES OF DAVID CHOE party. I am a big fan of the film and David's art, so this was a great moment for me. Thanks to Catherine for taking the picture.

Another film that I thoroughly enjoyed is THE WACKNESS. It was the Audience Award winner at both Sundance and the Los Angeles Film Festival. If you are in LA or NY, it is open in limited release and I encourage you to go see it so that it is ensured of a wider release. It has a nice soundtrack lifted from 1994 (see sidebar). There may be one more festival post in me, we'll have to wait and see...
In the meantime, films that were popular -- CHOKE, AMERICAN TEEN, ANVIL!, VISUAL ACOUSTICS, and LOOT. To name just a few.
FYI, Nadal won. It has been a good summer for Spain with this coming on the heels of the UEFA cup.


2 comments:
i'm excited that there's a movie called "anvil!" that exclamation point is intriguing. it says "anvils are exciting." glad the festival went so smoothly and you had such a good time! i'm jealous of all of your movie-viewing opportunities, but will live vicariously...
Your blog is back! I kept checking back for more photos from the fabulous Korea trip. I guess the next big adventure is Sante Fe?
Post a Comment