Thursday, August 02, 2007

I have to start somewhere.

HI IOWA
I can tell already that August is going to be a fast month.
The end of July just disappeared into a blur for airports, laundry, accumulated (e)mail, and many, many naps. Never before have I been so exhausted by vacation. Given that this was the first extended traveling O. and I have done in two years, and given that this was the most activity I have done in the same two years, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. While the logic is all well and good, I am still kind of freaked out that it is August(!!) I have a lot to get done in August! -- but that can be another post.

I know, I know, I am also the last to circulate my photos from St. Barths to the wedding attendees. Hold your horses, they're coming! Just not in this post.....

Even though this is backwards, the Midwest portion of our trip is a more manageable number of snapshots, so I am starting there. Again, the Iowa buddies have had pictures of our visit up for weeks on their blogs (see sidebar); I hope they have tided y'all over until I got around to my updates. I tell you, those ladies in Iowa are badasses! Babies to nurse and homes to run and dogs to walk and still they post. I tip my hat to you goddesses of the feminist forum. You know who you are.

Iowa is full of babies and consequently, parents. These are some of our favs.

I think we must has caught Bran in the midst of a response. I cannot recall a moment when she wasn't smiling and looking beautiful (leave it to the digital camera to catch everyone just off moment!)

We said hello to Iowa City before heading north to Waverly for Orion's family reunion. I am always impressed when a family this size gets (almost) everyone in one place at the same time.



From our much to short visit we journeyed further north into Minnesota for the wedding of our lovely friends, Heide and Griffin. Trust me, they looked lovely.


We stayed in MN to see my family and celebrate Tony's 50th (!!) Here we are at his birthday lunch, joined by Ruby and Ewald.


On the way back to Iowa we escaped thunderstorms by staying in Ames, where Jackie gave us shelter, allowing us time to sit and catch up. We also visited with Brandy and Jack at their house, and then again in Iowa City.


Samantha arrived from NC, and for a few days it felt like when we all lived close and could spend easy afternoons knitting and talking. Of course now there is an Eleanor...who is easy to love. I finally gave her the sweater I started last winter.



For whatever reason we didn't take many pictures on this trip. Maybe it was burn out after St. Barths and the photo decathlon? Or that there were so many other cameras around we figured the events were already well-covered? Whatever the reason, we have LOTS of family reunion and not lots of anyone else. Thanks to Jackie and the Iowa bloggers I know there are some good image out there and there is a record of our visit -- even if we don't have it. Feel free to send us the best ones for xmas. Thanks again to everyone who hosted us. We never feel like there is enough time, and there is always at least one person we fail to see. Miss you guys tons!

BYE IOWA

1 comment:

earthmama said...

is it possible to over-feed reginald? he just kept jumping and dancing around for fish after about 20.... ah, cute photos. except the one where i look constipated and pissed off. i'm wanting a guide for interpreting the family photos (whose Troy? Ewald? and all of O's family?) now that you are home again i'm thinking of all these things i wanted to talk to you about but didn't get a chance to. a phone call is in the near future. looking forward to more photos and words.