Monday, August 06, 2007

watched milk never cools

I am waiting for my milk to cool so I can continue with my first attempt at making yogurt. It is a relatively simple process, but there is a lot of waiting involved. I know carrie has done this before, and I vaguely remember her tone of voice when I asked her how it went and if it was worth the effort. Regardless, I am committed to this. It's not like I make jams or can thinks, so yogurt is the least I can do.


Besides yogurt, the day has been quiet. I continue to spend the day with my computer -- writing, writing, writing. I am still working on Jackie's birthday present, but in the meantime...Happy Birthday, JMC! Hopefully you are eating cake all week.
If you decide you want some yogurt, let me know!

5 comments:

earthmama said...

i've considered doing this with soy milk to make soy yogurt for jack. i'll be interested to hear how it goes for you. if it's actually cheaper/better/worth it, let me know. i'm soooo impressed that you are writing. and that you have a rewards system set up for writing (aka, reading h.p., etc.). i haven't done anything in WEEKS and have been thinking a lot about that lately. i'm anticipating a warning email from VRD come Sept. 1st (when my funding begins) about beginning a writing schedule, though little does she know i haven't finished what i said i wanted to this summer before writing. far from it, actually. argh. i just cannot get it together to do this thing.

Anonymous said...

wow, thanks for reminding me about the yogurt maker--i probably wouldn't have thought about it until i unearthed it in our move next year! anyway, i always felt like a bit of a food alchemist when i incubated a batch. i also liked the little containers with their little lids. rob was disappointed when he found out you couldn't make flavors, only plain. hooray for live and active cultures (of the human and yogurt varieties)!

sarah90046 said...

you can add stuff once the yogurt is made -- almost anything in fact!

earthmama said...

so, how did it turn out? tasty? do you use whole milk or lowfat/skim? is it actually cheaper than buying yogurt? do tell.

sarah90046 said...

I want to believe that it is cheaper...I used organic fat free milk (4 cups), and got 8 yogurt "cups", so yes, it was cheaper than buying organic yogurt. If nothing else, I feel better about making it. I was happy with how it turned out. I have been adding fruit most days, and that is good. Very satisfied with the outcome. In fact I should think about making some more...