There are a lot more marked "days" than I remember there being the last time I gave it some thought. Today is World Refugee Day and with so many places in the world that need support I am conflicted about how little I am doing these days. I know that I am still recovering and that while I am having more good days than bad, I am not back to where I was physically, and I am far from feeling reincorporated into any kind of an engaged social existence. It is still hard to return phone calls and emails when I don't know what to say. Listening to what is taking place in so many countries it is hard for me to fathom the resources that went into my healthcare, surgery and hospitalization. I am trying to be thankful. If you have a minute visit the UNHCR website.
Tuesday, June 20, 2006
world refugee day
There are a lot more marked "days" than I remember there being the last time I gave it some thought. Today is World Refugee Day and with so many places in the world that need support I am conflicted about how little I am doing these days. I know that I am still recovering and that while I am having more good days than bad, I am not back to where I was physically, and I am far from feeling reincorporated into any kind of an engaged social existence. It is still hard to return phone calls and emails when I don't know what to say. Listening to what is taking place in so many countries it is hard for me to fathom the resources that went into my healthcare, surgery and hospitalization. I am trying to be thankful. If you have a minute visit the UNHCR website.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
that's a great graphic/poster the UNHCR created. thanks for posting it!
-c
for a bit of levity, today is the deathiversary of judy garland. you could host your own sing along wizard of oz.
today (july 10) is two "days" in one: National Don't Step on a Bee day (i happen to think it would be REALLY hard to do this on any other day), and Clerihew Day. in case you are like me and have never heard of a clerihew, here's the explanation:
clerihew (KLER-uh-hyoo) noun
A humorous, pseudo-biographical verse of four lines of uneven length, with the rhyming scheme AABB, and the first line containing the name of the subject.
[After writer Edmund Clerihew Bentley (1875-1956), who originated it.]
Here is one of the first clerihews he wrote (apparently while feeling bored in a science class):
Sir Humphrey Davy
Abominated gravy.
He lived in the odium
Of having discovered sodium.
Post a Comment