Monday, January 22, 2007

commitment

When I was doing fieldwork I could always justify going to the movies. Then I abruptly stopped when I got sick (however going to see KING KONG was one of my first non-doctor outings after the first hospitalization).

Last week the Golden Globes snuck up on me and I became acutely aware of how much I had not seen in the previous year. Orion was in the same boat, and we committed to a couple days of catching up. If I have not returned a call or answered an email, it is because I was at the movies.

In two days we saw: BABEL, LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA, LAST KING OF SCOTLAND, and THE DEPARTED. Then over the weekend I saw: THE GOOD SHEPHERD, NOTES ON A SCANDAL, and DREAMGIRLS.

Thank goodness for economy hours and vouchers! Now with almost a month until the Oscars I am feeling pretty good. The nominees are announced tomorrow, and you can bet that at 5:30 a.m. pst, I will be sounds asleep.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

willing to venture any predictions?
-bee

sarah90046 said...

If I respond here does anyone ever come back to read the reply?

Anonymous said...

me!
We were able to see the good sherpherd last month... the first movie we saw together since 2004.
viewing vicariously through you!
bee

sarah90046 said...

Partial list in order of Oscar website (just for you, little bee):

leading male: I'd love to see Ryan Gosling, but I am guessing Forest Whitaker or Will Smith

supporting male: Eddie Murphy

leading woman: I liked Meryl Streep, but I bet it will be Helen Mirren

supporting woman: All signs point to Jennifer Hudson

animated: Monster House

art direction: Pan's Labrynth

cinematography: Children of Men

costumes: I want Marie Antoinette

directing: Babel for the complexity of multi-country shooting. Departed if it is tribute to Scorsese (who has never won). I loved Letter From Iwo Jima.

best picture: anything goes. The Queen dominated the globes, but I think my money is on Iwo Jima. Babel will not surprise me -- they liked Crash after all.