Saturday, July 29, 2006

no backyard in la-la

One of the things I really miss living in Los Angeles is a backyard. I love Oregon for its year-round green, and my parents' yard in the summer. Even not watering the lawn it still feels green -- which is great when it is a 100+ July day! This hammock is my spot since coming home. Being able to take naps out here (lots of sunscreen and now the umbrella, don't worry) is all the reason I need for putting off my return to socal.

My brother, Alistair, was home for a few days that overlapped with Orion and I. He was put to work assembling garden-gear before heading back to the Bay. Behind him are the tomato plants...heirlooms and sun golds...I never cease to be impressed with the crop, and this summer there have been so many hot days that the vines are loaded!

Not only are there vines heavy with tomatoes, but to the right are these giant cedars -- you can imagine how impressive the old growth in Oregon is when you see what is in urban yards, eh?

Check out how small that three story gray house in the background looks. To the left, kiwi. Yup, they look like grapes, but these are the furry little green fruits - yum! So this is what I am up to. Enjoying the view of the sky and the growing things. It smells like jasmine and lilies, and it feels like *home*

2 comments:

Carrie and Rob said...

nice backyard shots! it's nice to see where you've been hanging out. i'm a little jealous of the kiwi and the hammock.
super fun.

xo,
c

Anonymous said...

Its nice to know that you have a quiet space to relax and let your mind wander. I am enjoying the updates and the rambling. Keep it coming.
Bee-Have