Sunday, July 23, 2006

first sweater

I have been promising to go public with a picture of this baby sweater for weeks. At last, right Samantha? This is the first one I completed, buttons and all. I have to say I am hooked on the pattern -- thank you, Elizabeth Zimmerman, for your baby surprise sweater. I love working with the Koigu (KPPPM) and have included two photos since the color is better in the one without buttons. The best thing about Koigu are the colors. This sweater is especially petit I've been told, but hopefully it will be big enough for an Iowa Baby!



The second attempt was a little bigger and brighter. This one is already on its way to a friend of a friend. I love that you knit the whole thing as one piece and that when it's all done, it ends up being something that looks like a pattern I'd be daunted to try. I was planning to include a link, but couldn't decide on one, so if you are interested, google "elizabeth zimmerman baby surprise sweater", there are lots of site out there that discuss (with pictures, of course). When I look at what others are doing it reminds me how new I am to all of this, and how much room there is to grow! For the yarn, there are many options, I like the knit-purl website because of the photos (and because they are in portland). I think my new favorite spot in Portland is Lint. Nice gals, good prices, cute website, and lots of stuff.

In justifying the expense of a new hobby, I figure that, 1) I was due for an addiction since I have been off alcohol AND coffee since I got sick nine (!!) months ago, 2) if I tell myself these are all christmas gifts it is ok, and 3) I am still pretty slow so how much damage can I do.... Orion banned me from buying any more books online, but he hasn't said anything about the yarn. Being in Portland I have mom as an accomplice, which helps since she can drive and I haven't taken up this practical skill again as of yet. See, I sound the same and look pretty good, but I am not back to being the girl I was before surgery. They tell me I am doing great and that it will all come back in time.

Meanwhile, knitting is like a puzzle, with a sense of progress built in to the process.

3 comments:

Carrie and Rob said...

huzzah for the koigu! the sweaters look fab. the last thing i need is a new knitting project (the yarn stash keeps growing and growing with accompanying backlogged items to be knit), but this is soooo tempting. the knitting shoppe doesn't carry kppm so perhaps this will be a good excuse to check out the yarn store in CR. hmmm...

xo,
c

Anonymous said...

Bellisima! Orion is going to catch on to the yarn stashing sooner or later. Can you dip into your mom's or is she just a fabric junkie? The sweaters look great and I do't think too small. The blue toned one should fit 0-3 from the looks of it. Then again if its going to an IA baby, maybe not!

keep up the posts. I really enjoy them. peace. (bee-have)

Anonymous said...

oh my god, so beautiful! your sweaters are adorable! and what iowa baby might we be referring to, here....?