Saturday, November 03, 2007

I'm still here

I guess I have some explaining to do since I have been silent for so long. It is the fall, and I feel like time always speeds up in the fall. This is also the time of year when I am most motivated to take things on (i.e., I am easily distracted by new projects and busy trying to make headway on tasks that have been hanging around for a while). Fall is my time of change. Maybe it comes from years of living by an academic calendar and looking to fall as the time to buy new notebooks and get a fresh start. It is when I start new jobs. It is when I simultaneously start making plans to travel and wanting to nest and stay close to home. It is even when my health, the biggest factor in my life the past couple of years, changed radically. This fall we have had visitors from our "homes", Nadia and John D. represented Portland and Iowa City, respectively, and there really is nothing better than getting to see old friends. My lil bro made the move south to start grad school at UCLA, and I have to say that I am thrilled to have him in the same city.

So true to form, I started a new job at the sweetest knitting shop imaginable, the Knit Cafe. I am there part-time so that I can still work on my dissertation, and it is allowing me to get back into shape for the world of work. It is also part of my holistic effort to finally *move* to Los Angeles. For the handful of you that read this, I think I have talked to you about my decision to shift my thinking about living in la la land. Since I arrived with an ethnographic orientation, I never really went through the process of relocating to SoCal with an intent to be here for the long term. Life intervened, as it so often does, and I finally figured out that I need to change the way I think about being here. Part of that is accepting a job without a fixed end-date; prior I felt the need to know that there was a foreseeable "end" in sight. My plants are also happy that they can be re-potted, and I might just find time to paint the bedroom. After all, I might be here a while!

3 comments:

earthmama said...

ooh, it looks sweet. very cute. i saw your class listed on there--adorable stockings! and suZan seems very style savvy :) so, is it really a cafe? as in, you can order a latte and sit and knit?

Beehave said...

So looking forward to seeing you!

Brandy said...

where are you? i miss your blogging. i hope you are well in la la land.